Coming Up with Designs - Garden

Hello, fellow Turtlestitch coders! I hope everyone is keeping up with their designs!

Something intriguing to me is how a design comes together from an idea to code. I recently made a "Garden" project, which was inspired by one of the paintings I made in 2013. The artwork has a large vibrant sun, some flowers, and soil, so I wanted to bring those elements together to create a small patch that would look nice on a T-shirt!

Check out the slideshow below:



Creating the design:
  1. Choosing the background color: I usually pick a color I think would go well with the theme of my artwork, but since my painting has a background color of blue, I wanted my project to have a blue background as well. Under the turtle icon on the top left corner, I click on "Default background color" and change the Hex color code to #1398b2. This is the website I use: https://www.color-hex.com/. It is really cool because it allows us to choose any color and returns a Hex code for it.
  2. Pen Up/Pen Down: I use these two blocks so the turtle knows when to make the stitch. Pen Up is for making the jump stitch, while Pen Down makes the stitches. The Jump Stitch block under "Embroidery" can also be used instead!
  3. Choosing the stitch/embroidery type
    I usually stick with the satin stitch because it is one of my favorites, and I love how it embroiders onto fabric, but it really is based on preference and how you want your pattern to look!
  4. Coding the sun and ground (Choosing the pen color and making a block)
    I set the color of sun to yellow using the Set Color block under "Colors" and used the repeat block to turn the turtle 15 degrees clockwise and move 25 steps forward, 17 times. I chose the numbers from running the code and altering them based on how I want them to look!
    I complied these blocks that create the sun into one block called "sun" by going to the "Variables" section, clicking on "Make a block", and in the popup, I click "Motion," name the new block, and drag the blocks that make the sun. I love bringing the blocks together like this because it helps other Turtlestitch users to easily follow the code!
    I continue to code the ground with the pen color brown, the zigzag stitch, and I made a block for it. For the placement of the ground, I was able to do trial-and-error to determine where I wanted it to go!
  5. Coding the flowers (Using and making variables)
    When I first created a flower, I realized I wanted repeated/multiple flowers that would be spread throughout the ground and inside the sun, which led me to use a variable!
    Under "Variables," I clicked on "Make a Variable" and named it xpos. For my flower codes, I used the go to x: y: block and set x to xpos and y to 0 because I wanted my x values to change by 25 (a random number) each time I made a flower. This creates a row of identical flowers, spaced out by 25 (xpos changes by 25 each time a flower is created).
    I do the same for the other types of flowers while changing the direction they face!

Whenever I have a design idea in mind, I love turning it into a Turtlestitch design/pattern. It allows me to break down the different elements of the design into several parts, which the "make a block" feature is really helpful for. It makes the code easier to read for myself and others who want to look at my code!

For this code, I used variables for the first time on Turtlestitch because I learned how much it simplifies a code that repeats from an action that occurred before (in a repeat, for loop, etc). A great way of knowing when to use a variable would be when you want to store a variable and change it.

My favorite part is personalizing the code using colors and background colors! This is optional because it does not show up on the embroidery machine, but it is a great way to see which fabric color (background) would look good with thread colors!

I continue to use the same way I coded the Garden with my other designs. You can check it out here: Flower Patch and Driver.


How do you usually come up with your Turtlestitch designs or patterns? Do you usually draw it out beforehand, refer to an image/object, or come up with something as you code?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is Your Zodiac Sign?

Cracking Down a Code #1

Turtlestitch 2.5 - The Whizzy Needle

Resizing and Adjusting a Pattern

Stitch Warnings!